Here are my key takeaways from SAP TechEd 2016 Barcelona:
- SAP announced HANA 2. Announcement see here and in the SAP HANA blog that also offers a series of live expert sessions to learn more, starting December 1. Customers need to decide if they want to stick with SPS12 for 3 years of maintenance or move to HANA 2 for twice a year feature updates.
- Developers can download the SAP HANA Express Edition for free. This is a streamlined version of SAP HANA that can run on laptops or in the cloud with up to 32G memory.
- Along with the launch of SAP HANA 2, SAP also launched SAP HANA services in the cloud, which exposes the advanced analytic capabilities in SAP HANA as subscription-based cloud services. These microservices help you build next-generation applications quickly without licensing and provisioning a dedicated SAP HANA instance. These SAP HANA services in the cloud are available as RESTful Web services consumable from any application written using any programming language and running on any application development platform. SAP currently provides two categories of microservices, one for text analysis and the other for earth observation analysis. You can subscribe to these microservices from SAP Hybris as a Service on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
- SAP HANA Cloud Platform IoT service helps customers and partners to achieve fast time to value and develop IoT solutions efficiently.
- SAP introduced three initiatives to make its business applications more intelligent and empower its ecosystem to build machine learning (ML) applications for customers.
- New features and functions across the SAP BusinessObjects Analytics portfolio of cloud and on-premise solutions.
- Bull certified the 16 socket Single Node SAP HANA Appliance.This appliance is based on Bullion S16 and VNX5400, and is certified with up to 16 TB memory.
- Broadwell certification for SAP HANA on VMware vSphere 6 see here