Here’s a summary of the major announcements I’ve captured from VMworld 2016 Las Vegas:
VMWARE CROSS-CLOUD ARCHITECTURE
- VMware Cloud Foundation
- VMware Cloud Foundation = Unified SDDC Platform for Hybrid Cloud = SDDC Manager + vSphere, VSAN and NSX
- Run it on-premise or get it as a service (IBM is the first vCloud Air Network partner offering it, additional public clouds, including vCloud Air will follow)
- For private clouds, customers can procure turnkey VxRack Systems integrated solutions from EMC today, or combine Cloud Foundation software with qualified VMware Virtual SAN Ready Nodes from Dell, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and QCT
- VMware Cloud Foundation integrates with vRealize Suite, vSphere Integrated Containers, VMware Integrated Open Stack and Horizon.
- Tech Preview: Cross-Cloud Services
New Software as a Service (SaaS) offerings under development to enable visibility into cloud usage and costs, enhance consistent networking and security policies, and automate the deployment, management, and migration of applications and data across vSphere and non-vSphere private and public clouds. Watch the awesome demo (Guido Appenzeller’s part, inspiring 20 minutes that will make you THINK):
- vCloud Availability for vCloud Director
VMware is announcing VMware vCloud Availability for vCloud Director, which will enable partners to offer simple, cost-effective cloud-based disaster recovery services that seamlessly support customers’ vSphere environments by leveraging native vSphere replication capabilities. This solution will be designed expressly for VMware vCloud Air Network service providers to be easy to operate, and foster customer adoption and growth, with a radically simple on premises installation process.
Complete Announcement see here.
VMWARE INTEGRATED OPEN STACK 3
VMware has optimized and architected its management control plane to run full OpenStack in as few as two virtual machines. VMware Integrated OpenStack 3 reduces the infrastructure and related costs required to power a production-ready OpenStack cloud that can scale to thousands of virtual machines, volumes and networks while streamlining operations. This compact management control plane allows IT teams to build small OpenStack clouds for departments or branch locations cost-effectively and in as little as 15 minutes. The latest release will also enable customers to import existing VMware vSphere virtual machines into OpenStack. This capability enables developers to easily move their key project workloads and manage them through OpenStack APIs on day one.
VMware Cloud Foundation will support VMware Integrated OpenStack enabling customers to quickly deploy and operate their OpenStack clouds on VMware’s virtual infrastructure on-premises or in the public cloud. Complete announcement see here.
EXTENDED CAPABILITIES OF VSPHERE INTEGRATED CONTAINERS
- Admiral— A built-in container management portal for VMware vSphere Integrated Containers that developers and application teams can use to accelerate application delivery.
- Harbor— An enterprise container registry that is built into VMware vSphere Integrated Containers. Based on Docker Distribution, VMware has added several enterprise features including user management and access control, policy-based image replication, support for audit and logs, a RESTful API for integration, among many others.
VMware Cloud Foundation will support VMware vSphere Integrated Containers enabling customers to run containers on VMware’s virtual infrastructure on-premises or in the public cloud. Complete announcement see here.
INNOVATIONS TO THE DIGITAL WORKSPACE WITH UNIFIED ENDPOINT MANAGEMENT, WINDOWS 10 SUPPORT AND ENHANCED IDENTITY MANAGEMENT
Complete announcement see here.
VIRTUSTREAM: NEW CONNECTIONS FOR CUSTOMERS IN HYBRID ENVIRONMENTS WITH VMWARE NSX AND VREALIZE SUITE
Virtustream announced plans to integrate the VMware NSX network virtualization platform into the Virtustream Enterprise Cloud. Virtustream, a member of the vCloud Air Network, will also work with VMware to establish Virtustream’s Enterprise Cloud as an endpoint for VMware vRealize Suite, for customers within a software-defined data center architecture, or as part of EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud. Complete announcement see here.
EMC ANNOUNCEMENTS IN ADVANCE OF VMWORLD 2016
- Enterprise Hybrid Cloud and Native Hybrid Cloud
General availability for Enterprise Hybrid Cloud v4.0. Enhancements include expanded multi-site support, enhanced data protection and anytime VM encryption. The new Native Hybrid Cloud offering, built on hyper-converged VCE VxRail Appliances, provides a platform that delivers simple and easy path toward the development and deployment of cloud native applications. Announcement see here. New Solution Guide “Enterprise Hybrid Cloud 4.0 Foundation for SAP” available here.
- Expanded “Data Protection Everywhere” Portfolio for VMware environments
EMC expands integrated data protection offerings, optimizing protection of VMware workloads on VMware Virtual SAN and VMware vSphere. RecoverPoint for VMs employs advanced multi-site synchronous and asynchronous replication technology, offering up to zero RPO with any point in time recovery via a highly resilient, no-single-point-of-failure architecture for the most advanced VSAN topologies. Because RecoverPoint for VMs is storage agnostic, replication is supported between VSAN and non-VSAN environments, enabling even greater flexibility. And VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering integration empowers vAdmins to manage replication through vSphere Storage Policy-Based Management, leveraging the common VMware framework.
VCE VxRail Appliance customers can now expand on its built-in protection capabilities and leverage a wider range of EMC data protection products to provide application consistency for backups as well as comprehensive monitoring, reporting and backup file search capabilities. Since VCE VxRail Appliances are powered by Virtual SAN, they can be deployed with EMC Data Protection Suite for VMs and EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition to provide a simple yet comprehensive solution for businesses which require cost-effective scaling to support workloads, or require comprehensive monitoring, analysis, reporting and backup file search capabilities, as well as backup and recovery and continuous data protection for mission critical applications including Oracle, SAP, DB2, and more.
Announcement see here.
KEY NOTE FROM PAT GELSINGER
Watch the keynote from Pat Gelsinger. It takes a bit more than an hour and is very, very well invested time. It’s all about vision, strategy, what we have today and a crystal clear view where this ecosystem is going to. If you have already watched the above cross-cloud preview then it will take you even 20 minutes less because it had been part of Pat’s general session.
FURTHER GREAT RESOURCES FROM VMWORLD 2016 US
- Press kit with all announcements
- VMworld home page: http://www.vmworld.com/community/conference/us
- VMworld videos: http://www.vmworld.com/en/video.html
- VMworld youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/VMworldTV
- Don’t miss: VMworld posts from Virtual Geek