Here’s a summary of the major announcements I’ve captured from VMworld 2015 San Francisco
- Premium partnership between SAP and Virtustream (the newest member of the EMC Federation). Virtustream now one of the select few premier strategic providers of cloud infrastructure services for SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud. Virtustream to announce plans, which will include leveraging other EMC Federation capabilities, in Q4. Announcements see here and there.
- Previews of enhancements to the Federation Enterprise Hybrid Cloud including:
- Enhanced Platform Support – with new features from VMware NSX 6.2, VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO), VMware vRealize Operations 6.1 and VMware vSphere 6 solutions; including enhanced network and security services, increased scalability and ability to perform non-disruptive live migration of workloads.
- Self-service modification of data protection services – as workload requirements change over time, the Federation Enterprise Hybrid Cloud solution gives users the ability to add, update and modify data protection and security services such as Continuous Availability, Disaster Recovery, Backup, and Encryption, at any time, in just a few clicks from the self-service portal.
- New deployment options with the VCE VxRack system (= VMware EVO SDDC) – offering a new hyper-converged infrastructure designed to help accelerate hybrid cloud deployment and reduce infrastructure cost.
- Support for XtremIO all flash arrays.
- Application lifecycle automation – designed to deliver continuous application development integration and deployment, so that the business can deliver new services as soon as code is ready on VMware vSphere and VMware Integrated OpenStack products as well as OpenStack environments.
- Federation End-User Computing Solution
- EMC Federation Business Partner Program
More about these announcements see here.
UNIFIED HYBRID CLOUD
- One of my favorites: VMware EVO SDDC (previously named EVO: RACK). The easiest way to deploy and operate the Software-Defined Data Center. Hyperconverged infrastructure that comes with up to 64 vSAN nodes per rack. The included VMware EVO SDDC Manager reduces the time required for power-up, provisioning and monitoring of virtual and physical resources, including software, servers, top-of-rack and spine switches. It also pools resources across multiple racks as a single “virtual rack” and will provide automated lifecycle management of the entire hardware and VMware integrated software stack. See here for more and take a look at the VCE VxRack implementation.
- Public Cloud
New or expanded services on vCloud Air
- Disaster Recovery OnDemand: When a DR test is run or a DR event occurs, customers will only pay for the compute consumed when VMs are running.
- Site Recovery Manager Air: A comprehensive management solution for designing, testing, executing and orchestrating centralized business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- VMware vCloud Air Object Storage: Storage services for unstructured data. VMware vCloud Air Object Storage powered by EMC is based on EMC ViPR, offered by EMC Cloud Services and integrated into vCloud Air OnDemand
- VMware vCloud Air SQL: A new database as a service offering that will provide easy access to scalable, cloud-hosted relational databases. VMware vCloud Air SQL will support Microsoft SQL Server, with a variety of memory, compute and storage options, and plans to support other relational databases in the future.
- Technology Preview – Project Skyscraper; A new set of innovative hybrid cloud capabilities for vSphere. These new capabilities will enable customers to extend their data center to the public cloud and seamlessly operate across boundaries while providing enterprise-level security and business continuity. VMware demonstrated live workload migration through Cross-Cloud vMotion and Content Sync across a private cloud and vCloud Air. More about Project Skyscraper in this blog.
SOFTWARE-DEFINED DATA CENTER
- New product releases: VMware NSX 6.2, VMware vRealize Operations 6.1, vRealize Log Insight 3, VMware Integrated OpenStack 2, VMware Site Recovery Manager 6.1, VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering. See here for more.
- vSAN 6.1 will increase data protection options for business-critical environments with the new Stretched Cluster Feature and enhanced VMware vSphere Replication providing five-minute Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Here is more about vSAN.
PREVIEWS ON VSHPERE INTEGRATED CONTAINERS AND PHOTON PLATFORM
- VMware vSphere Integrated Containers to provide developers with production-grade container infrastructure
- VMware Photon Platform optimized to run cloud-native applications in greenfield environments
For more see here.
END USER COMPUTING
New End-User Computing innovations for universal application delivery and device management. Announcement see here.
FURTHER GREAT RESOURCES FROM VMWORLD 2015 SF
- Press kit with all announcements
- VMworld home page: http://www.vmworld.com/community/conference/us
- VMworld videos: http://www.vmworld.com/en/video.html
- VMworld youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/VMworldTV
- Don’t miss: VMworld posts from Virtual Geek