As always it was great attending SAP TechEd, because this is the time for advanced SAP training and networking. The bandwidth of topics is immense and for that reason I’ll focus in my short summary on topics that are SAP data center relevant.
First of all it becomes more than crystal clear that if you haven’t started already to define your strategy on the following two topics, it is highest time to do so:
1) Getting business ready: Plan your SAP system landscape migration from ANY DB to HANA
2) Getting infrastructure ready: Define your hybrid cloud scenarios
From the SAP HANA SPS09 announcement let me highlight “Multitenant database containers” and “SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering”. In addition to that, SAP has informed about the possibility to use Intel Xeon E5 processors for HANA.
Multitenant database containers
One HANA SID can now contain a system db and several tenant databases as illustrated in the figure below.
There is a clear separation of application data and user management. The tenant databases can be backed up individually.
Furthermore it is possible to spread several tenant databases over several nodes (hosts) in scale-out systems:
While all this may lead to some TCO advantages there are still a few disadvantages to think about:
– No real workload isolation possible
– No separate HANA revision option
– System changes need to be coordinated with all tenants
– No maintenance downtime avoidance as you can do with VMware vMotion
SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering
To implement a multi-temperature memory strategy in your SAP BW, you can use the extended table concept with SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering. Using this concept you can store warm data – with specific usage profiles without functional restrictions – in extended tables, which are managed by SAP HANA. This enables you to optimize the main memory use (and cost!) in SAP HANA.
Extended Support for Compute Servers with Intel Xeon E5 v2/v3
According to the handouts from session DMM203 the basic idea is to leverage Intel‘s E5 technology for SAP HANA cost optimized entry-level system:
- Intel Xeon E5 26xx CPU´s are supported
- Single server systems – scale up only
- Supported as SAP HANA tailored datacenter integrated system
- The sweet spot is around $ 10K (768GB system, populated with 32GB DIMM´s)
Furthermore there is a streamlined customer procurement process for SAP HANA E5 systems:
- Size the system with the new SAP HANA quick sizer
- Search for your preferred hardware vendor on the SAP SCN page
- Order your new Intel Xeon E5 based Compute Server for SAP HANA
- Let only certified persons do the SAP HANA software installation
This are exactly the standard procedures we know from the traditional SAP systems and this is TDI (SAP Tailored Data Center Integration) – I love it: this will definitely drive HANA adoption!
Finally for those of you who haven’t been able to attend SAP Teched && d-code I’m adding some more links provided from SAP:
SAP Executive Keynote with Bernd Leukert
- SAP Executive Keynote: Bernd Leukert – Full Replay (video)
- Demo: Recap of SAP HANA SPS09 with Björn Goerke (video)
- Demo: Live Application Development with Björn Goerke and Ian Kimbell (video)
- Solving the Data Problem, Keynote Tells the Future of Running Simple (article)
- s-Innovations Announcement (video)
- SAP Customer Hagleitner Uses Internet of Things to Efficiently Run Operations (video)
- Co-Innovation Pilot with SAP, Shell and Volkswagon (video)
- Innovation Helps Tear Down Walls (article)
- DemoJam Berlin – Full Replay (video)
- SAP DemoJam Berlin Winner: Remote Farm (video)
- Remote Farm Repeat: Meet the DemoJam && InnoJam Winners (video)
- InnoJam Highlights: Mingle, Learn, Huddle, Hack, Sweat, and Pitch! (video)
More SAP TechEd && d-code Online Highlights
- Interview with Bernd Leukert (video)
- How Can Companies Manage Complexity in the Digital Transformation? (video)
- On the Evolution of Developer Tools and Languages (video)
- DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and the New Composable Enterprise (video)
- SAP Business Network: Conversation with Sanish Mondkar (video)
- Examining the SAP 2020 Vision for IT(video)
- Sven Denecken on Cloud, Implications of Hybrid Landscapes, and Co-Innovation (video)
- SAP Solution Manager in the IT Service Management Market (video)
- Get the latest SAP TechEd && d-code announcements in the SAP Newsroom.